Tuesday, August 08, 2006

The Wiki War Continues

If you haven't read my blog for a long time (I have a lot of new readers thanks to el maximo asesino's impending death) then you probably don't know that I have a particular disdain for Wikipedia. I made a brief post about Wikipedia the other day and today I got this brilliant, and of course anonymous, comment:

Google any topic or term you like. The wikipedia article will be one of the top results. Get with the times, man. Why pay some fool for his version of history when you can read an accurate accout of an event or term? Wikipedia is an encyclopedia by, for, and of the people. Nobody needs Britanica to indoctrinate them (at a cost) while more qualitive and quantitive information exists for free. You wikipedia bias is uneducated and only shows your lack of ability to properly research your topics. Now go pay to renew your indoctrination.

Wikipedia: The people's encyclopedia.
Let's break this mensa club member's comment down piece by piece:
Google any topic or term you like. The wikipedia article will be one of the top results.
And that proves what? By my estimation it proves that the people at Google, who by the way cooperate with the Chinese goverment in censoring the Internet, love Wikipedia. Either that, or that the formula Google uses to order search results puts Wikipedia at the top. In fact nobody would even know about Wikipedia if it weren't for Google
Get with the times, man.
I guess I'm old fashioned because I like my information to be factual and as unbiased as possible.
Why pay some fool for his version of history when you can read an accurate accout of an event or term?
My computer came with a reputable encylopedia pre-installed. Plus there are countless sources out there that one can read and judge for oneself. And my whole problem with Wikipedia is that you can't rely on them to give an accurate account of anything because a bunch of faceless people with equally hidden agendas are fighting over the content of the most important entries.
Nobody needs Britanica to indoctrinate them (at a cost) while more qualitive and quantitive information exists for free.
I'll be the judge of what I need, thanks for your concern though. As far as indoctrination goes, I'd be much more suspicious of the people editing those Wikipedia entries than of a well-known publisher whose reputation is at stake and has quality control procedures in place to protect that reputation. As far as the cost goes, I believe in the wisdom of the old saying "you get what you pay for." Like I said, I may be old-fashioned.
You wikipedia bias is uneducated and only shows your lack of ability to properly research your topics. Now go pay to renew your indoctrination.
No, my friend your Wikipedia bias is uneducated and only shows your lack of ability to properly research your topics. You're the one advocating for them because they are "free and easy" not because they are truthful and accurate.
Wikipedia: The people's encyclopedia.
Yeah, workers of the world unite and whatever populist/communist slogan you can come up with!

Buddy you are out of your league. Now run along. Your mom is calling you.

No comments: