Monday, September 18, 2006

A Cuban-American Perspective

As one who was born here in the US from Cuban parents, the 2nd generation Cuban-American feels torn between two worlds: One free and one meant to be free. I found this poem online by a young Cuban American named Alex Marin (age 22). The poem describes a perspective that many of us who were born here from Cuban parents feel. This poem is worth sharing. If you want more information you can contact him at the link after the poem:

Born and raised in the United States...
Parents came from Cuba way back in the day...
They left their country for a better way...
Years of tears have wrinkled their face...
As they pray to God to return to Cuba one day...
Cuban blood runs through my veins...
I've seen the sorrows my parents have faced...
Nurtured on black beans and rice...
Schooled about my island Cuba, also known as paradise...
Born in America, the land of the free...
I have another land I can call home, calling me, Cuba, cries out to me...
Sandy beaches, my roots, my culture and palm trees...
Home of Bacardi and of Ernest Hemingway...
My island Cuba is only 90 miles away...
My island Cuba...
Pearl of the Caribbean...
Brought down by lies and greed...
One day, My island Cuba...
Will rise and will be free...
The Cuban spirit can never be broken...
The day is coming where we shall dance in its streets...
From Havana,Matanza to Pinar del Rio...
Soon an end will come to a 46 year ordeal...
We'll move ahead towards better days,better ways,reunite and rebuild...
The spirit of my people can never be taken down...
We've been through to much, to let another turn our smiles upside down...
My island Cuba only 90 miles from me...
My heart bleeds waiting for freedom to ring...
Free,like my America, my home, my country...
My island Cuba only 90 miles from me...
Beny, Prado and Celia's songs will live on forever...
Guantaramera remixed with an urban beat...
One day I shall dance in its streets...
In my island Cuba...
That's Only 90 miles from me...

by Alex Marin, age 22 (view his website here.)

No comments: