Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Interesting stuff

I get Google news alerts all the time. Most of it is rubbish. There's always items from the Cuban official "press" which includes Granma and Prensal Latina as well as half a dozen other "news" organs from the "worker's paradise". Then there's the Reuters and AP news reports. These supposedly unbiased media outlets that have bureaus in Cuba that they operate under the strict guidelines of the Cuban government, a Faustian bargain if there ever was one. Additionally there are news reports from smaller countries that may not be directly controlled by Cuba but are generally sympathetic to castro and thus re-print everything the communist Cuban public relations machine provides them verbatim.

That's why I was surprised when I got a news alert from the Stabroek News in Georgetown, Guyana with the headline: I support the American embargo on Cuba

It turns out that it wasn't an column or editorial but a letter to the editor. Still you have to give the paper credit for running it. I was curious so I decided to check out what else has been published by the Stabroek News about Cuba. I did a search and found the following:

A letter entitled: Castro's dictatorial rule in Cuba should be rejected as a form of government

Of course in the actual news items there was plenty of castroist propaganda. I guess the letters editor isn't buying what his/her news department is selling.

No comments: