Wednesday, July 04, 2007

A rising sun in the city of brotherly love


Having been born in Philadelphia, the fondest memories I have from my early childhood are visits to this building. In this building, 231 years ago, brilliant men envisioned a nation and created it with the stroke of a pen. This nation would go on to be known as the great experiment. And the experiment worked. Today America carries the lantern of freedom and liberty in a world that is just as hostile to those ideas today as it was in the 18th century. As the American son of Cuban exiles I can truly appreciate the blessings of liberty. When I visit Philadelphia nowadays, which isn't very often, I always make a point to visit this building, my favorite building.

There's a story about the chair George Washington sat in during the Continental Congress. There is a half sun carved in the back rest of that chair and at the end of the Congress Benjamin Franklin, one of those exemplary men that I admire, said "I have often looked at that behind the president without being able to tell whether it was rising or setting. But now I... know that it is a rising...sun."

Let us pray that it's still rising.

No comments: