Sunday, October 23, 2005

Well, I finally Caved...

And put up my hurricane shutters for the first time this year. Katrina came and I ignored the warnings. A lot of rain but not the kind of destructive winds that would require shutters. Rita came and again I resisted. I have to disclaim the fact that putting up shutters, even on a small house like mine, is a royal pain in the ass.

So here we are with Wilma and Bryan Norcross is doing his best Chicken Little impression: "The sky is falling, the sky is falling!" I know Robert from 26th Parallel will have something to say about my lackadaisical attitude but the fact is 98% of the storms don't hit South Florida, yet we always seem to be in the cone of death.

This storm seems to have been out there for 2 weeks and yet from the very beginning they were saying it was going to hit us. Well I'm not buying it. We'll get rain, sure. A little wind, yeah. But I suspect we aren't going to have Hurricane conditions in Miami-Dade County.

So my family and in-laws finally persuaded me to put those damned shutters up and now my back is on fire. Pass the Doan's pills and the Bengay. Wilma is a bitch!

No comments: