Sunday, July 09, 2006

The Lost City, a Continuation - Chapter 10

Index of Chapters

Chapter 10


When Fico got home he dropped tiredly to the sofa and kicked off his shoes. Susan came into the room with a cold beer for him. “How’d it go?” She asked.

“It didn’t,” he responded. “I’ve stood in lines all day and each time I’d get to the front they’d send me somewhere else. After standing in line for the last time, they told me they didn’t have any information on Aurora’s whereabouts. And that if they did, they wouldn’t be allowed to give it to me. Something about privacy. My feet hurt, and those civil servants sure can be rude. We’re going to have to go to Plan B. Maybe we hire a private investigator to find her?”

Susan burst out laughing. “Yeah, like Columbo or Barreta?” Her laugh made him feel better.

“What about you, smarty pants? How did it go with Fr. Val?” Fico asked.

“I’d say it went pretty well,” Susan said. That got Fico’s interest. Susan said nothing; she did this for effect. Fico took the bait.

“WELL?” he asked

“She’s coming for dinner tomorrow,” replied Susan with a Cheshire grin.

“Start at the beginning and don’t leave out any details,” said Fico.

Susan told Fico about her meeting with Father Val, the details about Aurora’s living arrangements and the particulars of Aurora’s story that Fico didn’t know. Fico was happy that Susan had found Aurora but was depressed to hear how Aurora had suffered at the hands of the communists. Finally Fico asked Susan, “How did you get her to open up to you so much? After the way I treated her I’d think she would have taken the money and the food and sent you on your way.”

“She didn’t know I was your wife. I just asked her and she talked. She wanted to get things off her chest, she needed to,” said Susan.

“You didn’t tell her who you were? You lied to her?” asked Fico incredulously.

“You know me better than that,” Susan responded. “She didn’t ask and I didn’t volunteer it. It didn’t seem right at first, besides I wanted to get to know her better. When she asked me my full name before I left, I gave it to her. She knows who I am now.”

“You are sneaky,” Fico said. “But you are probably right. She needs a friend and perhaps she would have shut you out if you had shown up and announced that Fico Fellove’s wife was there to save the day.”

“It wouldn’t be the first time I saved the day for you Fico.” said Susan, again smiling.

“Yes, I know and it won’t be the last,” laughed Fico.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Henry -

Another great chapter. I can't wait to read the rest of the story.