Saturday, July 08, 2006

Soccer Zealotry - UPDATED

I've recently made a couple of posts about Soccer on BabaluBlog.com. Specifically about its lack of appeal to Americans, and also about the soccer zealots that I generically refer to as "soccer guy". Well, yesterday Dan LeBatard of the Miami Herald was discussing the same topic on his daily radio show.

One thing he said really made me chuckle. He said (and I'm paraphrasing here) that he doesn't understand how a sport could allow its biggest event to come down to something like penalty kicks. He said that would be the equivalent of deciding the Super Bowl by bringing out the two quarterbacks and having them throw the football through a swinging tire. I had to laugh because that just about sums it up.

UPDATE: Wouldn't you know it? Today's World Cup final came down to, you guessed it... Penalty Kicks.

No comments: